Couragion uses the concept of "Crossings" inside the iPad app as an integral part of the career exploration process. Crossings are meant to be times of self-reflection and evaluation. In a recent study “Learning by Thinking: How Reflection Aids Performance,” a team of researchers from HEC Paris, Harvard Business School, and the University of North Carolina found that learning is more effective if an experience is deliberately coupled with time spent thinking about what was just presented. Couragion integrates time for reflection, asks students what they think and feel about the careers being presented, and provides journaling capabilities throughout the career exploration process. Students expand their own perspectives through Crossings and a supported growth and awareness process.
We thought it was apropos to name our Couragion blog "STEM Crossings". We'll explore different moments in time when people need to make a decision or take some action concerning the pursuit of their academic pathways and career readiness journey. And we need to be here to help them through each of the following Crossings that they may encounter:
- Encourage them to sign up for the hard STEM courses and communicate the future applicability of those classes
- Challenge them to fully explore career options instead of blindly applying to a college and seeking an ill-suited degree and field
- Persuade them to pursue a degree and a field that fits the vision of their life
- Motivate them stay in a STEM job and continue to engage in meaningful work
- Empower them to switch careers and find their purpose